Excerpted from a survey posted to Usenet on July 8, 1992:
- Has the use of a computer enhanced or inhibited your creative processes?
- Is it the medium’s versatility or the productive power of the software?
- Does the medium enable you to do what other mediums don’t?
- Is it the software’s tendency to impose certain characteristics on your work?
- Hard copy computer art work hung on a wall really doesn’t “break any new ice.” Do you agree with this, and if so, what aspect of this medium do you see as most promising?
- There is very little computer art being purchased by public galleries. Do you think this is because it is too early in the development of computer art to expect any significant works of art in this new medium or do you think that, like most new art movements and new media, computer art is ahead of its time?
- Where do you think computer art is heading? Will it have a major impact in the “fine arts”?
What I wouldn’t give to read all of the responses—